The IEEE Photonics Society’s Membership Council was formed to ensure that the interests of the members are addressed, to oversee the direction of the Society’s chapters and to initiate programs that add value to the membership and photonics community at large. The Membership Council also leads the Society's membership recruitment and retention strategies.
The Membership Council is chaired by the IEEE Photonics Society’s Vice President of Membership and consists of the President, the President‐Elect, Associate Vice Presidents segmented by the Society’s strategic areas of focus, the Newsletter Editor and the four Board of Governors Members serving the second year of their elected terms. A complete roster is below.
- Evaluate the Society's benefits, engagement efforts and membership products regularly;
- Enhance the coordination between the Society’s activities at the local chapter and international levels;
- Provide a long-term membership career paths to guide members at they transition from student to member to leader;
- Expand the diversity of the photonics community by increasing the participation of Women in Photonics, Young Professionals, marginalized groups and members from developing nations;
- Increase mentorship, networking and micro-volunteering opportunities for all photonics community sectors;
- Educate public and government leaders on the capabilities and benefits of photonic technology.
The Membership Council has three Strategic Committees that report to it within the Society's governance structure: