IEEE membership enhances every stage of your career. Whether you are an established professional or just starting out, IEEE membership identifies you as superior talent. Advancing your member grade can bring added peer recognition to your accomplishments. Grade advancement is encouraged because it is required, in most cases, for key volunteer positions at the IEEE.
- Student: carry at least 50% full-time academic load in an IEEE designated field.
- Graduate Student Member: qualify for Member grade, carry at least 50% of a full time academic load in an IEEE designated field
- Associate Member: designated for technical and non-technical applicants who do not meet the qualifications for Member grade
- Member: satisfied IEEE specific educational requirements and/or have demonstrated professional competence in IEEE designated field
- Senior Member: professional experience and demonstrate significant performance Fellow: recognizes unusual distinction in the profession
Student elevation is handled twice a year, in June and August. Once an IEEE Student member or Graduate Student member reaches his or her graduation date (based on information provided by the student), IEEE elevates them to the next grade of IEEE membership for which they qualify. Approximately 20,000 students graduate each year.
Affiliate to Member
Associate to Member