Senior Member Elevation
- Be engineers, scientists, educators, technical executives, or originators in IEEE-designated fields.
- Have experience reflecting professional maturity.
- Have been in professional practice for at least ten years (with some credit for certain degrees).
- Show significant performance over a period of at least five of their years in professional practice.
How to Apply:
Prospective members who would like to apply directly for Senior Member grade must first join the IEEE and then submit the Senior Member application form. There is no additional fee to apply for Senior Member grade.
Click here to apply for Senior Member grade.
To nominate an IEEE Member who meets the requirements for Senior Member grade, fill in the Nomination portion of the Senior Member Application form and forward it to the nominee. The nominee can then complete the rest of the form and submit. IEEE Sections and Societies can earn financial rewards for nominating a member for Senior Member Grade.
- Review the requirements for Senior Member grade.
- Review/Complete the Senior Member Application form.
- Learn more about the "Nominate A Senior Member Initiative".
In order for an application to be reviewed at a Review Panel meeting, the application, resume, and required reference forms have to be submitted and received at least ten days prior to an A&A Review Senior Member Panel meeting. Newly elevated Senior members are generally published within two weeks after the meeting.
The status of applications, or nominations of members, submitted through the online application can be checked at any time. View newly elevated Senior members.
Benefits of Senior Membership:
- Recognition: The professional recognition of your peers for technical and professional excellence.
- Senior Member Plaque: All newly elevated Senior members receive an engraved Senior Member plaque to be proudly displayed for colleagues, clients, and employers to see. The plaque, made of fine wood with bronze engraving, is sent within six to eight weeks after elevation.
- US$25 coupon: IEEE will recognize all newly elevated Senior members with a coupon worth up to US$25. This coupon can be used to join one new IEEE Society. The coupon expires on 31 December of the year in which it is received.
- Letter of Commendation: A letter of commendation can be sent to your employer on the achievement of Senior Member grade upon the request of the newly elected Senior member.
- Announcements: Announcement of elevation can be made upon request to your Section/Society in their local newsletters, newspapers, and notices.
- Leadership Eligibility: Senior members are eligible to hold executive IEEE volunteer positions.
- Ability to Refer other Candidates: Senior members can serve as a reference for other applicants for senior membership.
- Review Panel: Senior members are invited to be on the panel to review Senior member applications.
- US$25 Referral Coupon: Newly elevated Senior members are encouraged to find the next innovators of tomorrow and invite them to join IEEE. Invite them to join and the new IEEE member will receive US$25 off their first year of membership.